Ph.D. in City and Regional Planning at the University of California, Berkeley; Full Professor of Analysis of Territorial Systems at the Department of Architecture and Territory of the Mediterranean University of Reggio Calabria, Italy. Among the founders of the ESDP network in 1987, she teaches Policies and Strategies for Territorial Cohesion at her home university and Socio-economic development in space at the IMSDP programme in KU Leuven.
Socioeconomic development dynamics and disparities in space – at the local, regional, international scale – and actions to support the sustainable development of depressed areas. Changes in territorial production systems and industrial structures. Tourism and local development. The role of the different components of the service sector – services for production and services for reproduction – in development and cohesion. The evolution of planning tools and development policies in the EU context. Her privileged domain of investigation is the South of Italy, but in a comparative perspective.
- 2000 F. Martinelli e J. Gadrey, L’economia dei servizi, Il Mulino, Bologna
- 2002 L. Cavola e F. Martinelli, ‘Italy: the influence of regional demand and institutions on the role of knowledge-intensive services’, in P. Wood (ed), Consultancy and Innovation: The Business Service Revolution in Europe, Routledge, London and New York, pp. 207-245
- 2005 Martinelli F. (ed), La pianificazione strategica in Italia e in Europa. Metodologie ed esiti a confronto, Franco Angeli, Milano
- 2005 Moulaert F., Martinelli F. and Swyngedouw E. (eds), Social Innovation in the Governance of Urban Communities. A Multidisciplinary Perspective, Special issue of Urban Studies Vol. 42, n. 11
- 2007 Moulaert, F., Martinelli, F., Gonzalez, S. and Swyngedouw, E. (eds), Social Innovation and Governance in European Cities, Special issue of European Urban and Regional Studies Vol. 14, n. 3
- 2009 Martinelli F., ‘Regional development: Cassa per il Mezzogiorno’, in R. Kitchin and N. Thrift (eds) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Volume 1, Elsevier, Oxford, pp. 446-455.
- 2010 Moulaert, F., Martinelli, F., Swyngedouw, E. and Gonzalez S. (eds.), Can Neighbourhoods Save the City? Community Development and Social Innovation, Routledge, Oxford e New York
- 2012 Martinelli, F., ‘Social innovation or social exclusion? Innovating social services in the context of a retrenching welfare state’, in Franz, H.-W., Hochgerner, J. and Howaldt, J. (eds) Challenge Social Innovation. Potentials for Business, Social Entrepreneurship, Welfare and Civil Society, Berlin: Springer
- 2013 Martinelli, F., Moulaert, F. and Novy A. (eds), Urban and Regional Trajectories in Contemporary Capitalism, Routledge, Oxford and New York
- 2013 Martinelli, F., ‘Learning from case studies of social innovation in the field of social services: creatively balancing top-down universalism with bottom-up democracy’, in Moulaert, F., MacCallum, D., Mehmood, A. and Hamdouch, A. (eds), The International Handbook of Social Innovation. Collective Action, Social Learning and Transdisciplinary Research, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar